Camogie Admin Course
The Camogie Association and Athlone Institute of Technology
Certificate in Sports Administration (Evening Course)
Meeting the needs of the Community:
Are you a Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer or Development Officer in your local Camogie Club or County Board? This could be for you!
The Hetac (Level 6) Certificate in Sports Administration programme is aimed at helping Camogie clubs and County boards in the region to manage and administer the development of individual clubs and regional structures.
The programme will also give sports administrators third level recognition for skills / competencies gained throughout their previous involvement in organisation of Camogie and community development.
This programme is now in its second year. 18 students completed the course in 2010/2011 and graduated in October 2011.
Course participant, Belinda Dooley from Padraig Pearse’s club in Roscommon:
“This course has been absolutely fantastic. It has been a great experience to meet and learn with fellow members of the camogie community from all over the country.”
Sinead O'Connor, Ard Stiuthoir, The Camogie Association:
“Our Administrators have identified a need for training to us as an Association and this course provides a wonderful opportunity to those administrators attending, to improve their skills and knowledge in their roles while also receiving a recognized HETAC qualification from AIT, one of the leading third level institutions in providing sports and related programmes. The Camogie Association is committed to supporting the provision of this course.”
Aim of Programme:
The aim of this module is to introduce the participants to the principles and practice of administering a sports club, with particular reference to facilitating the development of An Cumann Camógaíochta.
During this programme, participants will:
• Identify the theories and concepts associated with leading and managing people
• Understand how successful basic financial management skills can contribute to increased association/ club effectiveness
• Understand the role that communication plays in an association/club
• Demonstrate how successful planning skills can contribute to increased association /club effectiveness
• Illustrate the role that exercise and fitness plays in a sports association /club
• Identify the legislation and policies/procedures associated with ethics and legal issues in a sports association /club
• Produce a development plan for own association /club.
• Relate own experience of leading people to academic learning
Course material will be developed through individual project and portfolio building.
Who should apply?
Camogie Club administrators, County Board Officers, people who are interested in getting involved in their local club
Autumn – Winter 2011/12 over a 15 week period Tuesday evenings 7pm to 10pm. Lectures will be delivered on campus in Athlone Institute of Technology
Fee for this programme will be €300.
Course Completion will enable experienced key administrators with the knowledge and skills necessary to;
- Manage and administrate your club/organisation.
- Facilitate retention and increase of participation / membership.
- Identify a future path for your club / organisation.
For more detailed Information: Initial enquiries from prospective participants should be addressed to Mr Kieran Doyle, Work Based Learning Office, Athlone Institute of Technology at 0906424438 or email at